It's inevitable that at some point in your jump rope journey you will want to channel your inner child and break out some fancy tricks or footwork. But where to begin? There are an endless amount of jump rope tricks out there and so many people to follow. We partnered with Nick Woodard from Learnin' the Ropes to put together what we believe are the 5 fundamental freestyle jump rope skills you need to learn to get started cranking out tricks.
Give these five a try and let us know which tutorials you'd like to see next.
Jump Rope Skills featured in this video:
- Skier - A two-footed hop from side to side, imagine you're jumping over a small log.
- Speed Step - Alternate "stepping" over the rope rather than jumping, which allows you to move much quicker.
- Side Swings - No jump required with this one. Simply swing the rope to either side of your body to maintain your rhythm between tricks.
- Criss Cross - Give yourself a hug and jump at the same time!
- 360° Turn - Master this trick to impress your friends, family and coworkers. You'll probably even impress yourself.